An effort to provide "woobies" to dogs ( and cats ) waiting to be adopted across North America.

Friday, March 02, 2007

What's a Woobie and why do they need roundin' up?

What is a "Woobie"?

In this case, the term Woobie refers to a security blanket. This term was most famously used by Micheal Keaton's character, Jack Butler, in reference to his son Kenny's blanket. Many a Woobie has been drug through the streets by children in need of a bit of reassurance.

Why do they need roundin' up?

Several years ago, I decided to crochet 40 blankets for Internet Miniature Pinscher Service in honor of my dog, Sailor - he was a Miniature Pinscher ( Min Pin ). Other people heard about my efforts and offered to help. I named this little project "Sailor's Blanket" and thus far, over 1000 blankets have been donated to Rescue Groups across North America.

The blankets are given to the dogs when they arrive in the Foster Home and go with them when they are adopted. This provides the dogs with a sense of comfort and security while they adjust to their new life. This is especially important for the "milldogs" - dogs who are liberated from Puppymills and have never known a life that included blankets, toys and a soft bed.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of dogs ( and cats ) currently waiting to be adopted across North America and ( unfortunately ) there will be at least one to take their place once they find a Forever Home. The need for "Woobies" will never cease and as long as there is a need such as this, I will continue.

What's in a name?

For years, this project has been referred to as "Sailor's Blanket". Sailor was not a rescue, he was a showdog that I shared my life with. The project started out as one for Min Pins exclusively but has grown to include many breeds. I decided that I needed a name that would reflect the purpose of this effort and "Woobie Roundup" seemed appropriate.

So, I've officially elected myself SHERRIFF of Woobietown! I am in charge of roundin' up the Woobies and gettin' them to the dogs ( and cats ) who need 'em. YEE-HAW!

How can you help?

The Woobies can be new or gently used ( freshly washed, please - there's nothing better than a Woobie fresh out of the dryer ). They can be homemade or purchased. I crochet, others knit or sew. Some go on "Woobie Roundups" at their local charity shops, discount stores, department stores or their linen closet.

Choose a rescue group from the links provided or contact a shelter in your area to donate Woobies to. This is a Volunteer-based, non-profit effort. All of the shipping costs will be handled by those donating the Woobies. I do not accept money at all. You decide how many Woobies you would like to donate, who you would like to give them to and make arrangements to get them there.

It's that easy!

Now git on out there and Round up 'dem Woobies!
YEE-HAW!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

This is absolutely wonderful and I feel so honored to be the first to say so on your site. I have enjoyed 2 basenji's through BRAT rescue and I see you have contribute Woobie's to them in the past. Thank you so much for your creative contribution to the rescues of the world. Kelly Gibbs

9:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home